"Grown-ups never understand anything by themselves, and it is tiresome for children to be always and forever explaining things to them."
--- Antoine de Saint Exupery.
In 1943, Saint Exupery wrote a book in French called "Le Petit Prince" or "The Little Prince" while living on Long Island, NY. This line is from the opening few paragraphs, wherein the author describes his early years and how frustrating it was to have to explain EVERYTHING to the adults around him.
This makes perfect sense, if, like me, you can remember your life as a child - mind full of ideas and fantasies no adult could ever understand. Sometime in early childhood, we lose this ability to live in a fantasy world.
Imagine how much fun it would be, if we all still had this ability. Life would be much more fulfilling, everyone would be happy and we would get along with everyone.
Unfortunately, not much "work" would get done.
I still, from time to time, like to imagine myself as a child.
"The Little Prince" is one of my favorite books - it is a quick read and really takes me back to that time in my life when I was completely carefree. There are some really great lessons in this short story that even adults can take away. Unfortunately for me, I loaned this book to one of my ex-girlfriends and it went the way of the girlfriend. I need to get another copy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment