Well, I've been a little lazy here lately and took a week off of my MOTW. Hopefully everyone (all 2 of you) that read my MOTW blog on MYSPACE has found their way over here.
Well, I'm not longer in my hospital.. They kicked me out. Just kidding. I'm at another of our affiliate institutions about one-and-one-half hours away from home doing a surgery rotation. Hooray, surgery. Not really.
In medical school, I was never a very big fan of surgery. It's hot, restrictive and frankly, if you're not the one operating, pretty boring. So, I stayed out of the operating suite as much as I could during my 3rd year rotation.
But these things have a way of coming back to haunt us. Now, I'm the only resident in a cardiothoracic surgery practice up here at the Geisinger Heart Hospital and I scrub into every surgery - three days a week of OR time. Yay!
Actually, it's been pretty interesting. The cases they see are pretty sick and so far I've seen a three-vessel coronary artery bypass and an esophagectomy that were very interesting. The surgeons with whom I am working are very nice and patient enough to teach during the surgical cases and I'm learning quite a lot.
I guess that is the goal, right?
The biggest thing that sucks is that I'm so far away from home. I haven't seen my wife all this week, although we've spoken on the phone every day but the day she was on call in the NICU. Call pretty much excludes any free time to talk on the phone, especially in the ICU setting. The good thing is that I'll be able to go home weekends to see her (and do laundry and sleep in my own bed), so that is nice. Of course, she's on call this sunday, so I won't see her except friday evening and saturday. :(
Ok, enough griping and whining. Time to read so I can have some knowledge...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment