Post-call, on pediatrics

In my residency program, we do 3 dedicated months of pediatrics, aside from the children we see in the Emergency department. These include a month of pediatric ICU (PICU) in the first year, and a month of our pediatric acute care walk in clinic in each of the first and second years of training.

I'm currently on the second year walk in clinic month. This, unfortunately, is one of our relatively infrequent call months. Call means you live in the hospital all day/night, covering patients who come in or are currently admitted.

I am post-call, which means that I was on call yesterday/night, so I went to the hospital yesterday at about 0730 and left today about 0830 - essentially I was away from my home and wife for 25 hours. This doesn't count the fact that my wife is working today, so I won't see her until about 6pm or so tonight.

So, for those in my family asking why we haven't had any kids yet, it's because we never see each other!

Fortunately, I actually got some sleep last night (yay) and am not completely wiped today, but even when you get to sleep on call, the sleep is not terribly restful, so I am still tired, just not completely dead on my feet.

Best wishes to all, and I hope this recent ice storm has not grounded everyone.

No comments: