Computer is fine. Match Week Madness

Well, it's been over a month since my last update to this, my Message of the "Week" and a lot has happened.

When last I left you, my computer was in the shop because it decided to take a dive off a cliff and stop booting. In fact, it stayed in the shop for over a week because the Geek Squad could not find anything wrong with it, despite the fact that it repeatedly refused to boot from the hard drive AND the DVD/CD drive. In other words, I had a completely useless 6 pound paperweight.

Regardless of their inability to find anything wrong, when I finally got it back (still with them swearing there is nothing wrong with it) I was able to reboot the Windows XP rescue disc that came with my system and re-install the operating system... It had been about a year since I'd re-installed anyway, so it was time :)

There, that saga is finally over and all is mostly well.

Now for the real news... this week is "Match Week." The days when all residency applicants (other than if you are in the military or osteopathic match) find out whether they match, and on this thursday, find out where they match.

Yesterday was very stressful to me, since both Ashleigh's and my future were sort of resting on one email that would be sent to me via the NRMP (National Residency Match Program) at or about 12pm EDT. I, of course, was working yesterday, so I was babysitting the clock watching for when the appointed hour would arrive. Let me tell you, that was the longest 5 hours ever!!

Finally, the time arrived and I logged in to my email... and there was a new message from the NRMP!

Opening the email, the message inside was very short:

Congratulations! You have matched.


That was it, but it was enough! A huge weight was lifted off of my shoulders. I knew that for the rest of the day, no matter how badly I was abused it was ok...

I'm going to be an Emergency Medicine resident next year.

No comments: